We visited Arizona Midday on 12 News to show a crowd-pleasing recipe for your holiday entertaining. In this segment, learn how to make an easy Date, Walnut and Blue Cheese Ball. Watch the video
Date, Walnut and Blue Cheese Ball
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup minced pitted Medjool dates (4 to 6 dates)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1. Place first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat until smooth and creamy. Add dates, shallots, lemon rind, salt, and pepper; beat until well blended.
- 2. Spoon cheese mixture onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a ball, using a spatula. Wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- 3. Combine parsley and walnuts in a shallow dish. Unwrap cheese ball; gently roll in nut mixture until fully coated. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.